Re: page updates

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 21:17:33 +0200

Jorg B. wrote:

> I have noticed a few times that when somebody telnets to a remote server to
> make some changes to his/her site that squid does not "see" the changes
> being made. What triggers squid to "get" the new page instead of using the
> cached one ?

See refresh_pattern in squid.conf for the automatic procedure Squid uses
in determining if it needs to ask the origin serverif the page has
changed or not.

> Does "shift reload" force squid to pull a new copy of the page from the
> remote server ?

If the browser is sending correct information to Squid:
* "Reload" forces Squid to ask the origin server if the page has
changed.
* "Shift-Reload" forces Squid to download a new copy from the origin
server, even if it seems that the page hasn't changed.

Netscape does this correcly. Internet Explorer is known to not do it in
some situations, especially if you are running a proxy which
transparently intercepts port 80 traffic ("transparent proxy").

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker