Re: acl file permissions

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:58:41 -1000 (HST)

Simon Bryan writes:
> I still have problems when restarting Squid with a reconfigure command, the
> problem may be related to the following messages in my Messages File (first
> time I have actually seen them, but that doesn't mean they weren't there!)
>
> The files it can't find do exist as do a couple of others that it has not had
> trouble with. They do (did) have different permissions. The files it found have
> rwxr.xr.x
> while these two just have
> rwx......
>
> However if I shut Squid right down and restart, it starts up without error, I can
> and will change the permissions, but if this is the cause why does it work
> from restart but not a reconfigure?

  I've seen a couple oddities also, of things that do not behave the
same on a startup vs. a reconfigure. One of them I suspect might have
had to do with using a partially qualified path to the config file on
the command line (I.e. "squid -f ./etc/squid.conf".) This one sounds
like it might have to do with the effective user or group ID Squid is
running under.

Have you made sure that the user and group for the config files
(including the acl files you are trying to load) are the same as those
given for the effective uid and group for Squid in squid.conf?

  I think when you start squid as root, it does more of the work *as*
root, before changing its uid/gid to the euid/gid it's told to - which
is logical, since it has to read the conf file before it knows what it
should change to - but if you signal the child to reconfigure, it has
to do everything as its effective (non-root) user. That could cause
the problem you describe, depending on file ownership.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.