Re: ICP_HIT_OBJ

From: Alexei Novikov <anovikov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 12:56:53 +0400

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Alexei Novikov wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if it is still possible to use OP_HIT_OBJ as an opcode ?
>
> AFAIK, Squid no longer emits OP_HIT_OBJ. Returning content via ICP/UDP
> is considered too dangerous and not worth the trouble. I would not
> recommend supporting this operation if you have a choice.
>
> Alex.
>
> P.S. I am by no means an ICP guru though.

Alex,
what I wanted to do is to have a fake cache server that will sent a
false hits for requests to some of the ftp sites providing a list of the
nearest mirrors. There are generally 3 ways to do so:
1) to have a redirector at each cache server that will point to some
(WWW) server that will give the list. Then a user will have a choise to
get original content, and cache manager will have a greater flexibility
(specifing domains that are regarded as far-away and as a nearby).
2) to use a fake cache server that will sent false hits and have a
redirector of the siblings HTTP requests to the WWW server. In such a
way users will have ability to reach original content.
3) to use a fake cache server that will sent false hits with the list
inside the body.

So I was just examining all these 3 ways.
                Alexei.