Re: Squid and NT

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 11:45:04 +0200

Petar Nikolich wrote:

> Excuse me for being forward on your reply but are you aware of any work
> being done to port Squid to NT ?
>
> I have a URL to http://www.phys-iasi.ro/users/romeo/squidnt.htm
> but it is just a bare binary and source and I do not have sufficent
> knowledge to work from the source as the author appears to have not
> made any additional comments on what restrictions/problems there may
> be with his port.

And exacly what are you asking for? It is a native port of Squid Windows
NT, available as both binary and source. It may not be fully up to date
due to limited time and resources, and is not very much tested, but it
is available.. The main problems is that he does not have the time
needed to maintain the port, and none of the active Squid developers are
actively running Windows NT so we can't verify his code. I regret that
he hasn't got more of a response from the NLANR people, but that is
outside my control.

> from our central system that are a single NT4 server box. Rumour has it that
> ports to NT are very much slower than the *nix versions but it has got
> to be better than fighting with Microsoft Proxy2 ;-)

I don't know the speed of this native port, but it should be a lot
better than the earlier attempts.

The earlier attempts to build Squid on Windows NT has been done using
cygwin32. Unfortunately there are (or at least was, havent checked it in
a few months now) some major problems with the cygwin32 library that
makes Squid perform really bad when built in that UNIX like environment.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker