Re: wpad method, web proxy auto discovery.

From: Jens-Uwe Mager <jum@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 14:13:19 +0200

On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 12:16:00PM +0800, Mark Reynolds wrote:

> 2. Store the resultant file in the document root directory of a handy
> web server as wpad.dat (Not proxy.pac as you may have previously done.)

[ snip ]

> 4. Insert the following entry into your web server mime.types file.
> Maybe in addition to your pac file type, if you've done this before.
> application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig dat
> And then restart your web server, for new mime type to work.

As I still need the proxy.pac file for the Netscape users I simply added a
redirect from wpad.dat to proxy.pac like this:

Redirect /wpad.dat http://www.mydom.com/proxy.pac

This avoids declaring all .dat files x-ns-proxy-autoconfig files and you have
only one file to maintain.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager	<pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>