Re: wpad method, web proxy auto discovery.

From: Igor Sysoev <maillist@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:35:45 +0400

Henrik Nordstrom wrote in message <37A459EA.490A5735@hem.passagen.se>...

>> 6. Create/ instal/ implement a DNS record so that wpad.your.domain.name
>> resolves to the host above where you have a functioning auto config
>> script running. You should now be able to use
>> http://wpad.your.domain.name/wpad.dat as the Auto Config Script
>> location in step 5 above.
>
>Note: The preferred method of WPAD configuration is using DHCP. DHCP
>also allows you to specify the name of the PAC file, and not only the
>server name where it is located.

It's seems to me that MSIE5 (the single browser for now that
support WPAD) doesn't use DHCP.
I made such option in dhcpd.conf of isc-dhcpd:

option option-252 "http://tech.nitek.ru/ie5.pac" ;

but IE5 still gets "wpad.dat" from this site.
I tested IE5 on Windows NT SP3, Windows 95 OSR2 and Windows 98.
All Windows use DHCP configuration only.

Igor Sysoev