RE: Trying to understand delay pools

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:56:08 +0100

> From: Pete Yandell [SMTP:pete_yandell@yahoo.com]
>
> So bandwidth into the bucket is throttled and the bucket has maximum size.
> But, logically speaking, what does that mean? Is the data then read by
> the client out of the bucket? Or is the bucket just a counter of sorts?

        A counter.

> How, if the "restore" parameter represents the bandwidth limit into the
> bucket, does the size of the bucket make any difference? I guess what I'm

        It determines the maximum short term burst of data.

> after is a diagram that has the bucket, the client, the web site being hit
> and the pipes that run between these things.

        In the UK, domestic plumbing systems normally have a header
        tank with a float valve on the inlet. The bucket size is the
        water in the tank when the float valve closes and the restore
        value is the flow rate of water from the mains.

        If you don't have header tanks in Australia, a float valve is
        like the valve in a WC cistern.