Re: (no-digest -> no-query) incompatible with keep-alive?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 10:39:53 -0600

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> If it is a sibling relation then you may be experiencing problems with
> false hits. It is clear that the current digest generation is
> sub-optimal withrespect to which objects is beinging included in the
> digest.

Any digest generation scheme is suboptimal.

Note that N false hits would reduce average persistent connection
length by the factor of (N+1). For example, one false hit in the
"middle" of a persistent connection will effectively half persistent
connection length. Hence even a super-optimized digest generation scheme
(http://hem.passagen.se/hno/squid/squid-2.7.DEVEL2.optimal.digest.patch)
would have a drastic effect on average pconn length.

> False hits is considered by Squid as an error, and currently any
> errors causes the connection to be non-persistent.

Right. Looks like to improve pconns life time we need to build, a
close-or-not-to-close-on-error decision table. For example, false hit does
not have to close a connection to a valid peer, while request parsing error
should close. More exceptions. Sigh.

Alex.