Re: your results..

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 08:10:08 -1000 (HST)

Chuprynin Nicholay writes:
> Hi, All!
> I just curious, how effective Squid could be.
> I mean average traffic economy (in percents).
> It's interesting for me how much could I get from relatively small (I
> think) - about 1.3 G cache.

On a relatively small test - 30 workstations on a LAN with very heavy
Internet traffic, using transparent proxy cache redirection with an L4
switch - I got roughly a 13% hit ratio by number of bytes, with a 1.6Gb
disk cache. That would translate pretty directly to a 13% savings in
HTTP traffic, or maybe a 5% savings in total Internet bandwidth.

I'd expect that hit ratio and savings to go up somewhat with a larger
disk cache, down somewhat with a higher volume of users, and to vary in
less predictable ways depending on the population of users. (My test
used our office, including the Internet technical support department
which accesses a wide range of sites.) This was a very small test; your
mileage may vary, as the ads say.

For what it's worth,
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.