Re: squid and autoconfig

From: Chris Dillon <cdillon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 19:55:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, rich wrote:

> OK --- I knew about the FAQ and indeed put in a basic
> proxy.pac, (in fact from the netscape server), but when I set
> it up on my apache server to server the file to the users,
> I keep getting the error that the proxy.pac file is not the
> correct type.... The pac file is taken directly from
> my netscape server... I simply have apache running on the
> same proxy server and go to autoconfig and put in:
>
> http://proxy/proxy.pac
>
> as the load file... but still get the error.... any ideas??

Your server must return MIME type application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig to
the client when it requests the .pac file. Add this somewhere in
Apache's srm.conf:

AddType application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig .pac

IE's autoconfiguration feature uses the exact same proxy autoconfigure
scripts as Navigator. However, the IE proxy autodiscovery feature
(note I said "autodiscovery", not "autoconfigure", this is a little
different) looks for the autoconfig script with a name of wpad.dat
(assuming you also follow the other criteria for setting up proxy
autodiscovery). I'm not sure how IE reacts to a wrong MIME-type for
autoconfig scripts (I refuse to use it, or let anyone use it at my
site use it, so I haven't bothered testing it), but simply add another
line to srm.conf just like the above, and replace ".pac" with ".dat"
to avoid potential problems there, should you use the autodiscovery
feature at all.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users. It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."