Re: Redirector Question ...

From: Luigi Giacobbe <lgiacobbe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:59:19 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Duane Wessels <wessels@ircache.net>
To: Luigi Giacobbe <lgiacobbe@cirb.irisnet.be>
Cc: <squid-users@ircache.net>
Sent: Friday, August 06, 1999 10:47 PM
Subject: Re: Redirector Question ...

> 32 is a hard-coded limit I think. You can increase it by hacking
> the source.
>
> But it seems to me that if you really need more than 32 redirectors,
> then you may really be slowing down user's requests. Does it
> take a long time for a redirector to give an answer?

Hum ... It seems that you are right !
Preliminary tests with Polygraph indicates that better result are obtained
with 20 redirectors.
But I beleive that it depends the hardware ( µP, memory,....).

The redirectors react quickly (+/-2 sec with a table of 64.000 records).
With a lot of simultaneous connections, request are queued and performances
decrease
I tried to simulate 150 clients with 5 req/sec (constant load) and ...
Polygraph stops the test.
Actually, the Polygraph client give essentially this error : "Cannot assign
requested address".
I guess that Linux is unable to deal with so much connections and I try to
tune the kernel.
Any ideas or advices welcome !

Thanks - Luigi