cache chaining...

From: Franklin R. Jones <grat@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:41:31 -0600

I'm assuming this is correct terminology (or perhaps proxy
chaining)...

I've got two peer squid systems which the majority of my web traffic
goes through. The default internal browser is setup to auto-configure
off of a round-robin DNS name between the two cache
boxes. "Transparent" is forced by a firewall rule. This is functional
and works well.

I now have a need for a few people to access a external site via ssl,
which is also controlled by a proxy server (non squid) on the remote
end. We'll call them "foo.com" So the intent is something like:

   User on our internal net wants access https://x.y.foo.com, squid
need to redirect the proxy request to http://wp.foo.com:80.

I've tired things like

cache_peer wp.foo.com parent 80 7 no-query proxy-only
cache_peer_domain wp.foo.com x.y.foo.com

and/or combination with

neighbor_type_domain wp.foo.com parent x.y.foo.com

The issue is the remote is a proxy only (not a cache), we would like
to maintain the users "default" browser config (auto configured to our
cache). We can workaround this by setting the default proxy on the
user's browser to wp.foo.com, bypassing the cache on our end (by
firewall rule) for this connection and it will work, but only for this
connection. Seeking a solution that will work through squid.

Should this work? any other ideas? I haven't gone to the effort to
sniff out-bound packets to see what it is really sending to
where. Connection attempts are just timing out currently.

oh, I'm using 2.2stable4.

fj..