Re: cache peer questions

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:08:28 +0200

Hi

> I am confused regarding cache parent. We have a firewall.
> Squid v2.2.Stable3 is running on a separate system inside the firewall.

> Is it necessary to specify a cache_peer parent? Do I need to have a
> cache_peer parent.foo.net parent 3128 7
> type config entry?

It depends on the type of firewall, but the answer is probably
"yes". If your firewall can do transparency, you don't _need_ it,
but it's probably best to have it anyway.

I prefer to use:
cache_peer parent.foo.net parent 3128 3130 default no-query
That way you don't have to worry about running inetd on the
firewall (probably a good thing.)

> What is going on with or without the above entry

Without it, the firewall _might_ pick up the request in
"transparent proxy" mode, and things will work. You will probably
run into problems when you try and get per-user authentication
working.

> Also, I am not sure about prefer_dierct on, so this option in Squid conf
> is not enabled.

You should turn prefer_direct off if you have a firewall as a parent.
Nobody has ever explained fully what prefer_direct's interaction with
a default parent is (and I haven't looked at the code.) Of course,
it could be in the FAQ: I haven't looked there either, but then:
I am not the one asking the question ;)

Oskar