RE: Number of dnsserver processes?

From: Williams Jon <WilliamsJon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:47:39 -0500

Several people have asked about the setup, so I figured I'd post back to the
list instead of responding to each individually.

We overbuilt the hell out of the system. The proxy that I wrote the
question on is a pair of Sun Ultra Enterprise 3000 boxes, one with three
248mhz CPUs and 1GB of RAM, and one with two 168mhz CPUs and 512 MB of RAM.
Both have 7 4GB Fast-Wide Differential SCSI disks dedicated to cache.

The cache disks are configured as a logging filesystem using the Solstice
Disk Suite with the log being recorded on a mirrored pair of 100 MB
partitions on disks which are unused except for the logging functions. The
physical disks themselves are actually in a shared EMC disk array which has
got something like 1GB of RAM for caching and are configured as mirrors in
the backend.

All of this sits behind a pair of Cisco Local Directors in failover mode
which uses the Least Connections pragma for routing traffic in and out. All
of the network connections are 100MB full duplex Ethernet, and we've got a
minimum bandwidth potential of 12MB/sec. (two sets of lines from seperate
vendors using BGP for availability).

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have users with very, very low
thresholds for downtime. It is a large investment in hardware and takes a
full person just to run/tweak/troubleshoot. The Local Directors introduce
some problems with websites that do session tracking and/or security based
on the perceived client IP address, since the sessions shift back and forth
between the two servers.

Jon