RE: Some web sites don't let proxy in...

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 06:06:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Dave J Woolley wrote:

DJW} > From: Bike [SMTP:bike@ms37.url.com.tw]
DJW} >
DJW} > There are some web site who ask users to turn off their proxy.
DJW} ...
DJW} > proxy and, how can I configure squid so that the web site thinks
DJW} > the request is from user directly?

In the sample Squid configuration file there is a section that deals with
making all HTTP and FTP requests appear to be from the Squid proxy.

DJW} IANAL, but I think this would be a criminal offence
DJW} under the UK's anti-hacking laws, as you have been
DJW} clearly told that your access is not authorised, so
DJW} any implied permission from the fact that it is a
DJW} web site will have been voided. I don't know if
DJW} Taiwan has similar legislation.

Unless there are specific exemptions for Her Majesty's Government, there
are elements of the Government that will have to violate the law if your
interpretation is accurate. It would seem strange for Parliament to pass
a law requiring all UK companies to remove all security measures that they
have in place.

Such a law might make sense when applied to an Internet Service Provider.

                             Merton Campbell Crockett
| Manager, Network Operations & Services | Senior Network/Security Engineer |
| GTE Government Systems Corporation | Naval Surface Warfare Center |
| Electronic Systems Division | Port Hueneme Division |
| Intelligence Systems Organization | IT/TIS Program |
| Thousand Oaks, CA | Port Hueneme, CA |