FATAL: xcalloc: Unable to allocate 4096 blocks of 1 bytes!

From: Py LO <lopy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 19:20:14 +0800

Dear Squid Admin,

We just setup a squid proxy server (2.2.STABLE4) on BSDI 4.0 platform.
After running for 5 hrs, the process is down with the following message.

FATAL: xcalloc: Unable to allocate 4096 blocks of 1 bytes!

>From the FAQ, they tell me to recompile the kernel and change the
confgure of /etc/login.conf for large user access and for large memory
(above 64M) on server. Seems the configure parameters is referring to
256M RAM.

If the server is heavily used, and we got 1GB memory, which paramters on

kernel (BSDI) and squid should be modify?

Here is some paramters for my machine:

Intel P2-350
1 GB memory
18 GB (9 x 2) disk cache