RE: HEAD message

From: James A. Donald <jdonald@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:52:08 -0700

From: dancer [mailto:dancer]On Behalf Of Dancer
> I'm trepiditious about a number of things that Will Not Work(tm) if
> I implement the spec exactly as given. (Those damn HEAD requests,
> revalidation, and servers giving bodies in response to HEAD requests
> on CGI's...a _very_ common thing - The fix is obvious. Do not do
> HEAD requests in a persistant connection.

How common are head requests? I cannot seem to provoke IE into
issuing a HEAD request. What functionality to they implement for the
end user? In short how acceptable is it to misbehave on head requests,
or to close connection on head requests? What are the implications of
such behavior for the end user?