Re: Squid, Proxy.pac, and Mobile Computers.

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:27:45 -1000 (HST)

James A. Mutter writes:
> Situation A:
> User owns a laptop and uses http://blah.foo.org/proxy.pac to
> autoconfig Netscape to use Squid. No problems, everything works as
> expected.
>
> Situation B:
> Same user takes his laptop home, to a foreign office, any place to
> where he cannot access the proxy server or it is inconvenient to
> access the proxy server. I don't want the user mucking around in the
> Netscape preferences changing his settings from "Connect using proxy"
> to "Direct connection". ...
>
> This may seem a bit off topic for this list, however I can't justify
> using Squid, or any other proxy for that matter, if I can't make it
> play nice with laptop computers.

  Let me summarize the two answers you were given that should work for
this:

1) Implement a proxy autoconfig script which tests (e.g. based on IP
address) whether you're on the core network or elsewhere, uses the
proxy server only when on the core network, and goes direct the rest of
the time. Distribute that script and have everyone use it all the
time.

2) Use no proxy configuration, leave everyone set to Direct Connection
all the time, and set up a transparent caching proxy using one of the
various network tools for that (Cisco route maps, Squid running on
firewall, "Layer 4" switch like ServerIron, etc.) This approach sounds
simple, but there may be more IP voodoo involved than you feel
comfortable with.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.