Re: automatic browser script from squid rather than httpd?

From: Jeff Dean <jdean@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:12:27 -0400

Thanks to all those who replied to my request. The solution was
to keep httpd (apache) but enable squid's httpd_accel mode, like
this:

# the proxy is listening on port 8080
http_port 8080

# use squid's "httpd accellerator mode" for apache on this host,
port 8088
httpd_accel_host localhost
httpd_accel_port 8088

# still act as a proxy
httpd_accel_with_proxy on

With this configuration, squid proxies as usual. When a URL
comes in reading "http://proxy.domain.com" (the proxy machine) on
port 8080 it is redirected to "http://localhost:8088" and apache
answers the request. Apache is configured to return proxy.pac as
the default file (instead of index.html) and .pac is set to
return mime type application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig.

If anyone knows how to get Apache out of the loop (for
simplicity's sake) please let me know.

jd