RE: Squid, Proxy.pac, and Mobile Computers.

From: Williams Jon <WilliamsJon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:59:38 -0500

I just wen through a round of workin on a similar thing. The two things
you'll end up doing would be this:

function FindProxyForUrl(url, host)
{
        return "PROXY your.proxy.server:3128; DIRECT";
}

Obviously, you can have other things going on there, but this is the
statement that says "Try using your.proxy.server port 3128 to proxy the
request, and if that fails, go direct". When your user is on the network,
this will work fine. When they go offline or out of the country, the
browser won't be able to download the PAC file and promt the user saying "I
can't get the configuration, should I use the last one that worked?" If the
user says yes, then the browser will first try contacting your.proxy.server
and then, failing at that, going direct automatically.

For more information on how to write PAC files, check out
http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html

Jon