Squid, Proxy.pac, and Mobile Computers.

From: James A. Mutter <jmutter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:29:23 -0400 (EDT)

A few days ago I asked a question regarding a proxy auto-config file,
netscape, and squid. I'm not sure that I was entirely clear in the
way the question was phrased, so I'm going to ask again.

Situation A:
  User owns a laptop and uses http://blah.foo.org/proxy.pac to
autoconfig Netscape to use Squid. No problems, everything works as
expected.

Situation B:
  Same user takes his laptop home, to a foreign office, any place to
where he cannot access the proxy server or it is inconvenient to
access the proxy server. I don't want the user mucking around in the
Netscape preferences changing his settings from "Connect using proxy"
to "Direct connection". Will Netscape complain when it can't find the
auto-config stored at "http://blah.foo.org/proxy.pac", or can it
somehow be configured to ignore the proxy settings when it can't find
the .pac?

Additionally, I'm looking for info on how to write autoconfig files.
Any pointers?

This may seem a bit off topic for this list, however I can't justify
using Squid, or any other proxy for that matter, if I can't make it
play nice with laptop computers.

Thank again for the help,

Jim