Re: HEAD message

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 07:42:29 +1000

"James A. Donald" wrote:

> Dancer wrote:
> > > Well, according to the logs, HEAD requests account for forty-one
> > > percent of the requests to this server, with GET requests
> > > accounting for virtually all the remainder. That's quite a lot,
> > > really.
>
> From: hno@hem.passagen.se [mailto:hno@hem.passagen.se]
> > Are you sure you are not confusing GET IMS with HEAD?
>
> I have been wandering through a lot of other people's source code in
> my efforts to learn what is required of a proxy, and my impression is
> that if HEAD requests were common, proxies would be falling over like
> nine pins.
>
> Of course it is quite possible that HEAD requests are common, and that
> proxies are falling over like ninepins.

Well, checking our production servers, I see that we had about 1% HEAD
requests for yesterday. Nearly all of them had some kind of error. Most
were to http://si.info.apple.com/updates/... and the rest were to
http://update.pager.yahoo.com/... (which failed with a 411 response
code)

Curious. I imagine that it's accessory software generating these, rather
than browsers (well..duh).

Even 1 percent forms quite a large number, though.