Re: Trying direct when parent gets permission denied

From: Rainer Perske <perske@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 19:42:39 +0200 (MES)

Hello, Henrik (and all others),

> [ Request: If a parent proxy fails to deliver a page for specific
> reasons, Squid should not return the error, but should try to fetch
> the page directly from the original server. ]
>
> On a second thought it may not need to be hacked at all. It should be
> the default for Squid 2.2 in most cases.
>
> These are the HTTP error codes that causes Squid to automatically
> reforward the request using the next available path (usually DIRECT):
>
> 403 Forbidden
> 500 Internal Server Error
> 501 Not Implemented
> 502 Bad Gateway
> 503 Service unavailable
> 504 Gateway timeout

That sounds very good, thank you very much for that info :-)

Now I guess that in the cases where I got complaints about non-reachable
e-zines, these e-zines did return "Not found" instead of "Forbidden" to
the parent server. I'm going to ask the complainers.

_If_ they confirm my guess, then I'll add "Not found" to this list (I'm
sure I'll find that place in the source), accepting the resulting
performance degradation; because that seems to be the solution for my
problem.

> You of course can't use never_direct if you want this to happen. Use
> either ICP or prefer_direct off to get Squid to use it's parents.

I'm already using some "cache_peer (host) parent (port) (port)" without
options, some always_direct for known nearby addresses, and no
never_direct.

> Spare time Squid hacker

Thank you very very much for all your work and all your time you are
spending for us!

Kind regards
- --
Rainer Perske (Webmaster/News/System/PGP-Admin)
WWU Münster Zentrum für Informationsverarbeitung (Uni-Rechenzentrum)
http://www.uni-muenster.de/ZIV/Mitarbeiter/RainerPerske.html (Beruf)
http://www.muenster.de/~perske (Privat/Sport; darf geDUzt werden)