Re: Transparent Proxy

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 07:45:16 -1000 (HST)

atif writes:
> Hello,
> I really am thankful if u provide me step by step guidance of tranparent
> proxy with Linux RedHat 6.0,squid proxy 2 ,Cisco router . Please answer
> me immediately as i am going to test it in a BIG ENVIRONMENT.
> from,
>
> --SYED MUHAMMAD ATIF ,ONE NET http://www.one.net.pk,

Step by step:

1. Don't test it in a BIG ENVIRONMENT! Even with detailed
instructions, it takes a lot of trial and error and testing to get it
right. While you are testing, all your users' web access will be
completely lost or broken. That's a good way to lose a lot of users.

2. Read the FAQ on transparent proxy.

3. Get Squid working with non-transparent proxy on a few users (e.g.
your ISP's office LAN)

4. Configure your server, Squid, and router for transparent proxy on
just your office LAN, using access lists to limit it to those
computers.

5. Test. Test test test. Test, test! Test, test, test, test.

If you do all this, you will understand yourself what you need to do to
finish installing it in a big environment.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.