Re: ICP Queries for Object Refresh

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 13:51:03 +0200

David S. Madole wrote:

> We got SkyCache installed here today -- One of the patches they provide
> for Squid causes ICP queries to be sent to siblings for refresh of stale
> objects in cache, rather than always going direct.

The patch only adds an cache_peer option to allow ICP querying of a
sibling on refreshes. The default behaviour is to only query parents on
refreshes.

> Why would this not always be a good thing to do?

It is assumed that your siblings are most likely as stale as your self.
ICP querying would then result in a stale HIT on the sibling, and the
parent is ignored. In the case of SkyCache the situation is very
different than a normal sibling relation. They use this method to push
cache content to your cache from a sibling (the SkyCache server).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker