Re: Problems with isdn and squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:49:30 +0200

Usuario de tajo@hoyarrasa.es wrote:

> When the server receives a connection request from
> 1 pc in my network, it connects to the internet through
> the isdn. But there is a problem with squid, because
> the initial page its not loaded (the first packet get lost). This does
> not happen with other software (tinyproxy, ijb, etc...), only with
> squid.

A guess is that your ISP connection is using dynamic IP assignment, and
that Suqid had cached the destination IP address (or parent IP). Dynamic
IP assignemnt on dial-on-demand connections is very troublesome for
TCP/IP applications in general. To get it to work without to much
headaches you basically need a dial-on-demand router with builtin NAT to
hide the IP assignment from the local machine(s).

If you have a Linux box with a ISDN card or modem connection then it may
be possible to work around the problem by enabling Linux support for
dynamic IP assignemnt on dial up connections.
  echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker