Re: delay pools and VIP

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:02:59 +0800

Milos Prudek wrote:

> Let's say I need priority access for a single IP (let's call it VIP).
> Whatever bandwidth that IP asks for, it will get it. If inactive, other
> IPs will get unlimited access. Seems to me I can't set delay pools to do
> exactly that.
>
> Given our capacity of 3000 B/s, I can say that VIP can have no more that
> 2500 B/s, and other IPs can have no more than 1500 B/s. That's fine when
> both VIP and IPs are surfing, but when VIP quits, the IPs are still
> limited to 1500 B/s, right?

Quite correct. HTTP is stateless. There's no definition of when VIP is
surfing or not surfing to start with.

The best you could do that I can think of is to put a time-based ACL on the
restrictions on the other IPs and to not put any limits on to VIP, and define
that ACL to be the times VIP is known to be online.

ie, something like:

delay_access 1 allow vip_times !vip
delay_access 1 deny all

Alternatively you could have

squid.conf.vip-on
squid.conf.vip-off

and set up a script to switch the config file as VIP logs on and off. Depends
how far you want to go...

David.