Re: miss_access deny Siblings maybe????

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:03:40 -0600

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Keyran Bayliss wrote:

> I think I've got the miss_access defined wrong but I'd like someone else
> to explain it to me please.('miss_access allow all' is what I have now)
> <snip>
> When a sibling does the request, the authentication information is not
> passed (from the original request) and this is a problem for us.

If your peers are using a recent Squid release, you can safely deny
miss_access for all. Your peer will retry the request (e.g. by going
DIRECT) if your proxy denies access for the previously "advertised" object.

Note that there is no way one can achieve absence of false hits (regardless
of the cooperation protocol in use). A cache may simply purge an object
that was advertised a millisecond ago.

Alex.