SV: SV: Hot Standby

From: Mattias Paulsson <pson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:50:12 +0200

> > There is probably expensive hardware that will do the trick but let's try
> > a simpler approach, right?
>
> Cheaper != simpler, or not always. ;-)

... if you don't put value into the time spend solving things. :-)

> Sometimes it depends on what your relative availability of time and
> money are. If you've got to pay hard dollars to get more system staff
> time available, one of the hardware solutions might suddenly look
> cheaper. A Foundry ServerIron is about $5700 list, but I just found
> out the real direct price to ISPs is $4400. That's now down at the
> level of a couple inexpensive high performance servers.

Nearly all projects that I've been involved in the last year has suffered from somewhat insufficent founding when it comes to getting hardware but then we're allowed to spend alot of time on the projects on the other hand (eg. the pointy-haired boss says "create a close-to-bleeding-edge solution but initially do not spend more than $15000 on hardware but you and your staff can spend two full months on it if you wish. When the customer is happy then we can spend how much money you wish to take it further" (well, not really, but close)). With that kind of project structure you and your staff will get fairly creative... :-)

"Let's solve this using only rubberbands, pencils and Squid"