Re: SV: Hot Standby

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 06:58:43 -1000 (HST)

Mattias Paulsson writes:
> There is probably expensive hardware that will do the trick but let's try=
> a simpler approach, right?

  Cheaper != simpler, or not always. ;-)

  Sometimes it depends on what your relative availability of time and
money are. If you've got to pay hard dollars to get more system staff
time available, one of the hardware solutions might suddenly look
cheaper. A Foundry ServerIron is about $5700 list, but I just found
out the real direct price to ISPs is $4400. That's now down at the
level of a couple inexpensive high performance servers.

(Of course, I'm learning not to underestimate the power of open source;
at the rate things are going, in another couple months maybe one of
these packages will be at the point where it probes the network,
figures out how everything should be configured, and emails you a
diagram and draft configuration files for all the software. Or so I
can wish...)

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.