SV: Hot Standby

From: Mattias Paulsson <pson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:55:13 +0200

> Since squid tends to become a single point of failure, what methods are
> commonly utilized to automatically deal with it if it crashes? I'm
> thinking of something along the lines of Cisco's Hot Standby Router
> Protocol or the such, though, to the best of my knowledge, there is no
> Linux support for such an item.
> I have sevral items that use the squid server as their default gateway
> (making it easy to do transparent proxying), and if/when the squid box
> crashes, I'd like for something else to step in to at least route the
> traffic, if not provide a backup proxy. I was wondering if there were
> any utilities that would monitor an IP address and then bring that IP
> address up on it's host machine if it couldn't reach the IP it was
> monitoring for X amount of time (and maybe even detect when the device
> comes back up and then drop the IP address on it's host).

The last couple of days I've been researching ways to solve a much similar problem and I've come up with the following URLs that might be of help:

Linux HA Project: http://www.henge.com/~alanr/ha/
EddieWare http://www.eddieware.com
Fake: Redundant Server Switch http://linux.zipworld.com.au/fake/

Within a couple of days I will have tested these methods but until then they're just pointers that might be useful.

There is probably expensive hardware that will do the trick but let's try a simpler approach, right?

---
Mattias Pålsson (pson@lls.net) - Sysadmin
Svenska Lightning Line Service AB (http://www.lls.net)
---