Hot Standby

From: Gene Black <gblack@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:08:33 -0400

Since squid tends to become a single point of failure, what methods are
commonly utilized to automatically deal with it if it crashes? I'm
thinking of something along the lines of Cisco's Hot Standby Router
Protocol or the such, though, to the best of my knowledge, there is no
Linux support for such an item.
        I have sevral items that use the squid server as their default gateway
(making it easy to do transparent proxying), and if/when the squid box
crashes, I'd like for something else to step in to at least route the
traffic, if not provide a backup proxy. I was wondering if there were
any utilities that would monitor an IP address and then bring that IP
address up on it's host machine if it couldn't reach the IP it was
monitoring for X amount of time (and maybe even detect when the device
comes back up and then drop the IP address on it's host).

Thanks in advance,

Gene