Re: Hot Standby

From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:54:33 -0400

Gene Black wrote:

> Since squid tends to become a single point of failure, what methods are
> commonly utilized to automatically deal with it if it crashes? I'm
> thinking of something along the lines of Cisco's Hot Standby Router
> Protocol or the such, though, to the best of my knowledge, there is no
> Linux support for such an item.

Current developmental versions support Cisco WCCP 1.0. As I understand it,
Cisco WCCP will automatically transparently proxy connections to Squid as long
as it receives a keepalive message within a specified amount of time,
otherwise it forwards them to the next router as usual.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com
Web Services, Inc.   : http://www.wserv.com