Re: How do I use proxy_auth

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 12:42:25 +0200

Ghins Mathai wrote:

> Can I use the proxy_auth mechanism for doing this?

It is what it is for, so yes.

> How does this reflect on the users. Do they have to enter a user id
> and passwd each time they access a page or only once during a session ?

Once each time they start their browser and tries to access the net.

> Does this mean that with my squid ( squid-novm-1.1.22-2 ) does not have
> support for proxy_auth ? How do I enable the support ?

You should upgrade your Squid. Current supported version is 2.2.STABLE4.
The 1.X versions havent been supported or maintained for mostly a year
now. proxy_auth is a supported feature in Squid 2, was experimental in
Squid 1.

> How do I write access control rules to have user based authentication
> instead of the current ip-address-based authentication ?

If using Squid-2.2 yes. Earlier Squid releases can not give different
authenticated users different rights.

> Could someone please send a squid.conf file that uses proxy_auth .

See the FAQ.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker