Default script doesn't work...?

From: Jim Gruen <slick3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:41:30 -0400

My high school recently bought a proxy server box for $3000, but I want
them to send it back, since all it is is a cheap FreeBSD box (probably
running Squid for all I know), while I can do the same thing with Linux
for free. So I set up Linux on another computer and got both ethernet
cards up and running. Confirmed that with ifconfig. Great. Installed
Squid from the Debian package. Wonderful. But I can't get it to work!
In desperation, I went to the Squid site and downloaded the "this
squid.conf will always work but the security is terrible" file, but even
that didn't work. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Jim Gruen