Re: Netscape as peer/parent on squid 2.2-STABLE3

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:06:30 -1000

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 09:48:22AM +0800, Matthew Enger wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to get netscape proxy server working as a peer to my
> schools squid proxy server so we can filter with surfwatch. Unfornatualy
> the squid server does not always query the netscape proxy server. Does
> anyone know why or how I can fix this?
>
> At the moment I am using:
>
> cache_peer proxy2.kgv.edu.hk parent 8080 7
>
> I have also tried this on another server running 2.2-STABLE4 and it has
> the same problem. Any help on this matter would be greatly appricated.

Which is upstream of which? Is the netscape server the parent to the Squid
server, or vice versa?

If the netscape server is the parent, as I'm assuming, then if you don't use
never_direct in squid, then it is always free to query the origin server
directly if it thinks that will be faster.

If it must always go through the Netscape proxy server, then you must use
never_direct. Read the comments in the squid.conf file carefully.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.