Re: Unauthorised use of Cache

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:25:41 -1000

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 07:02:48PM -0700, Raymond Brighenti wrote:
> Just wanted to know if it was just me who this happens to.
>
> While checking the Cache Client List I have notice a huge amount of IP
> addresses which are not ours (of course they are denied because they are in
> the Deny list). From doing a trace route to a few I have noticed they are
> coming from all over the world, not just one location.
>
> Should I be worried?

Not if you've got a deny list. When I started working on our cache earlier
this year, I discovered that the old one we had running here unsupported had
several regular users in Vladivostok.

I suspect that cache-spotting has become the same kind of K00L 3L33T sport
as spotting open news servers, though probably less disruptive to the net.
However, it does point up that keeping ones caches secured is an important
security issue.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.