Re: squid and netscape as peer how?

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:59:21 -1000

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 03:59:24PM +0530, squid@sol.net.in wrote:
> I have a netscape proxy running on HPUX and a Cobalt CacheRaq (Squid) squid
> is configured as transparent proxy there is a heavy load on Cobalt cacheRaq
> how can i use netscape proxy as a peer proxy to load balance what editing
> do i need to do in the squid.conf to specify netscape as a peer will the
> peering work or not?

Peering will speed up the response and reduce your link usage, but
won't take much load off the CacheRaq.

Load-balancing (especially for transparent proxy) must be done
externally to Squid. Whatever you're using to direct the traffic to
the CacheRaq (router, switch, separate redirector "appliance") is where
you need to look for load-balancing features, or else add a separate
device to do load-balancing via NAT.

You can load-balance "free" for explicit proxies via the rotating DNS
hack, but that won't help with transparent proxy where you're typically
redirecting to an IP address.

Hope this helps,
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.