Re: Authentication problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:44:13 +0200

Nick Sparkes wrote:

> Ideally I would like to integrate the authentication with NDS,
> absolutely no idea if this is possible. Any suggestions would be
> most welcome.

For authentication in a HTTP proxy you have two options:

a) IP based authentication.
b) Username+Password based authentication.

IP based authentication in a dynamially assigned environment (DHCP) is a
bit tricky as it is quite hard to find what station is behind the
dynamically assigned IP, and even harder to find out who the user of
that IP is.

Username+password authentication can be used if you can find a program
that can validate the username+password pair. I know nothing about how
to validate NDS passwords, but I assume it is doable somehow or it would
be a rather useless authentication directory.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker