Re: transparent proxy truncates hostnames

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:11:36 +0200

Parto Chobeiry wrote:

> Whenever I start redirecting from port 80 to 3128, the hostnames are
> removed from the URLs and I do not see what I am doing wrong. I am
> »httpd_accel_uses_host_header on«, but it does not work.

httpd_accel_uses_host_header should do the trick, unless there is no
host header in the request. Most browsers sends Host headers, but there
are some batch or software embedded http clients which doesn't (i.e.
automated update agents and such things).

A quick way to inspect what the requests looks like is by enabling
log_mime_hdrs. Then the complete request including all headers will be
logged in access.log.

When running as a TCP hijacking proxy Squid can only reconstruct the
host part of the URL if there is a Host header in the request.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker