Re: Transparent proxy - Help

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 21:09:23 +0200

You then need a policy route in router 1 to route port 80 traffic from
site 2 down to router 2.

Routing is done hop by hop. You cannot in router 3 (or even router 1)
tell that the traffic should be sent to the proxy server, all you can
tell is that it should be sent on the way which is towards the proxy
server. For Router 3 you don't need a policy route as all traffic should
travel by the same link up to router 1.

I hope that you are aware that this arrangement will at least triple the
load on the s1 link. Cache misses for site 2 will travel the s1 link
twice, cache hits for site 2 once, and it will alsho carry cache misses
for site 1 once.

The acl in router 1 must match only clients at site 2. You do not want
to have site 1 redirected back on itself.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker