Squid 2.2S4 going CPU-bound on BSD/OS 4.0.1

From: Dave Martin <dpm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:13:06 -0700

I've recently installed Squid 2.2.STABLE4 on a Dell Poweredge 2300 server
running (fully-patched) BSD/OS 4.0.1. The cache is spread across 3 18GB
Seagate ST318203LC drives. The system has a single 550 MHz Pentium III and
512MB of RAM.

It runs fine for several days and then suddenly the squid process goes
CPU-bound and stops doing anything useful. The last entry in the cache.log
file is always:

comm_accept: FD 0: (14) Bad address

There seems to be plenty of RAM available; the Squid process is using
somewhere around 310 MB and there is approximately 100 MB Free (as reported
by "top").

Shutting down and restarting the server process brings the cache back to
life for another several days until the same thing happens again.

Does anyone have any ideas about diagnosing this problem? I didn't see
this problem reported in the Hypermail archives. TIA...