pam authentication

From: <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:41:53 +0530

Dear sir
I have downloaded and installed pam_auth-1.1.c compiled and copied it as
/usr/bin/pam_auth and in my squid.conf i have given it as
authenticate_program /usr/bin/pam_auth /etc/passwd

acl password proxy_auth
http_access allow password

after restarting squid and pointing my browser to the squidproxy i'm
getting the authentication box but my problem is i'm not able to
authenticate any user in my /etc/passwd file
please help me what should i do for my users to get authenticated. how do i
create a user database
also, how do i keep a log of all my users

please help me
and thank you
suresh
suresh@sol.net.in