Re: 20GB IDE and Redhat 6.0

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 14:58:19 +0200

barneys wrote:

> We are looking at building a squid proxy using 2 IDE drives,
> a 3.2GB for Redhat 6.0 and Squid and a 20.4GB Quantum hard
> disk for the cache.

Don't forget to add memory. 20GB of cache requires something like 512MB
of memory.

> Redhat 6.0 is the OS that we know so it is our preferred option.
> Is there any major problems with using redhat 6.0 with squid?
> Is there any tricks or changes that we should make for squid to
> run reliably?

Specific to redhat I think the only problem is the resolver which causes
dnsserver processes to grow very large in some configurations.

This can apparently be solved by not mentioning nisplus in
/etc/nsswitch.conf, as I will verify this first thing on monday.

> Bearing in mind that we expect the proxy to only have about
> 30-50 concurrent sessions at a time. Does anyone see anything
> wrong with using a 20GB IDE drive for the cache?

No. Not for that low load. Not besides that having a large cache makes
Squid require a lot of memory which may make it not worth the effort for
such a small user base.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker