Re: 20GB IDE and Redhat 6.0

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:11:03 -1000

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 02:58:19PM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> barneys wrote:
> > We are looking at building a squid proxy using 2 IDE drives,
> > a 3.2GB for Redhat 6.0 and Squid and a 20.4GB Quantum hard
> > disk for the cache.
>
> Don't forget to add memory. 20GB of cache requires something like 512MB
> of memory.

Is there anywhere this ratio is documented?

In section 3.1 of the FAQ, it implies that 512MB is only required if
you have around 45GB worth of cache, and in Martin Hamilton's sizing
compilation <http://wwwcache.ja.net/servers/squids.html>, one user
reports using 16GB of cache disk with only 128MB actual memory.

Has Squid 2.2 become much more of a memory user than earlier versions,
or ???

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.