Re: Sequential sever?

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: 02 Oct 1999 16:49:35 +0100

Alex Rousskov <rousskov@ircache.net> writes:
> Except that all _disk_ operations/handlers are blocking. Select/poll(2)
> always return "ready" on a disk file descriptor. Blocking disk I/Os were

Absolutely (and yet someone spent a real long time writing the
original code as if they were able to be non-blocking.)

> the motivation behind introducing real threads into Squid (the now
> officially dead async-io stuff).

oh, this is a shame - I've obviously not been following closly enough,
recently. Is anyone looking at implementing in a different manner (eg
multiple processes to schedule the reads/writes in a way akin to the
dnsservers)?

Otherwise, it remains a pretty serious cap on the performance of a
single Squid-running system.

James.