SNMP forwarding.

From: Robert Bannocks <R.BannockS@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 12:04:58 +0100

I am running Squid stable 4 on Solaris 7. I am trying to set up
some SNMP monitoring. I have confidured the acl and community string
but, I cannot get the SNMP forwarding to the other Sun SNMP software
on the same machine. I can query both the Sun SNMP demon on 161 and
the squid one on port 3444 sqpperatly; but, the forwarding of SNMP
requests from SQUID to port 161 does not seem to work! (I want to do
this so I can tie down wh SNMP access to one place (squid). Can
anybody point out what I am doing wrong? Here are the snmp
parameters from my squid.conf file.

acl snmp-hosts srcdomain myhosy.king.ac.uk net-manage-sys.king.ac.uk
acl snmppublic snmp_community public
#acl snmp-access snmp_community public
# TAG: snmp_port
# NOTE: SNMP support requires use the --enable-snmp configure
#snmp_port 3401
snmp_port 3444
# TAG: forward_snmpd_port
# to another snmpd. The reason for putting this piece of
# installed snmpd with minimal changes. This option is turned
# snmp port (usually 161). We do not use getservbyname() to
# allow you to set Squid into port 161 and your system's snmpd to
# WARNING: Because of Squid acting as a proxy snmpd for system
# you have to do security checks on THIS snmpd for all objects.
# Check your snmp_config_file.
#forward_snmpd_port 0
forward_snmpd_port 161
# TAG: snmp_access