squid, compression ppp and wan links

From: <dean.scothern@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:53:17 +0100

Hello Chaps,

I'm looking into running ppp over tcp to compress squid traffic over our frame
relay wan links. I'm getting approx 2* compression of data over the ppp link,
and was wondering if anybody else had tried it or had a better way (tm). Its
very early days at the moment. I'm using ppptcp-0.6 and pppd-2.3.10 to create
each link. I'll use it with squid and integrate it with our own cache heirarchy
when I've sorted out some reliability problems with solaris 2.5.1 (2.6 is ok).
The wan frame relay is externally managed and does not compress traffic.

Regards

Dino