Pragma no-cache in HEAD requests gets answered from the cache ?! Squid 2.2.-STABLE4

From: <Stanley.Hopcroft@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 15:48:55 +1000

To: squid-users@ircache.net
cc:

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please would you help me understand why my HEAD requests with Pragma no-cache
return 200 codes when the cache's (Squid 2.2-STABLE4) link to the Internet has
gone away ?

I use a Perl/LWP script to alert me to problems with Web access as soon as
possible (by page & email etc). I had hoped to reduce the amount of data we pay
for by replacing the GET method by HEAD.

Unfortunately HEAD returns no indication of a fault - presumably because Squid
has supplied the page - when the cache can not pass the request to the origin
server.

The Cache shares a machine with an Apache Proxy server that gets all it's
requests from Squid (the apache directive is ProxyRemote * localhost:3128).

Thank you very much,

Yours sincerely,

S Hopcroft