Re: negative byte hit ratio...again

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:29:35 -0600

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Jon Mansey wrote:

> Apologies for this which is probably an FAQ, but I did search the
> list archives and didnt find a useful answer.
>
> Can someone explain the meaning of a negative byte hit ratio?
>
> Cache information for squid:
> Request Hit Ratios: 5min: 40.5%, 60min: 32.9%
> Byte Hit Ratios: 5min: -2.7%, 60min: -12.7%
>
> Here it is only -2.7% but I have seen it swinging wildly from -120%
> (?) to +40% today.

> What could cause that to happen? Many aborted or broken downloads?

Aborted downloads, yes. Also cache digests, if you use them.

The byte hit ratio calculcation includes all HTTP traffic, even
those requests that are initiated by Squid itself.

If you have a few neighbors and your cache requests their digests,
thats a lot of traffic that your cache takes in, but never gives
out.

Duane W.